Friday, January 13, 2012

5 Years

I wonder if it will ever become cliche for me to type some sort of adoption post following Will's birthday. I guess I don't really care. His birthday is one of those days where I find myself overwhelmed with thoughts and emotions surrounding the unique way the Lord added Will to our family.

But on birthday's, one often reminesces about that person's beginnings... This year I went back into my saved e-mails and opened that very first email with his referrel and photo - telling me that this was to be my son. Tears. From the time I saw his face for the first time, I begged and pleaded with the Lord to bring him home as quickly as possible, and as soon as I held him for the first time I began begging for time to slow.

I sat with Will on Tuesday and shared with him about that first meeting in the hotel lobby. His understanding of the way the Lord added him to this family is growing.Will can tell you he is adopted. He understands that he grew in another women's belly. He is still working out everything in between... It scares me. His understanding of the inbetween. I never want him to feel different. I don't want him to ever feel unloved or unwanted. It makes me joyful as well. I am so thankful for him and what an opportunity for him to fully understand just how the Lord cares and provides. What an answer to our prayers he was... is. We pray constantly for the Lord to guard his heart from insecuritites... To fill his mind how loved and adored he is.

We don't have belly pictures to put in an album. We don't have some dramatic birth story to share with Will on his birthday. But we do have an exciting trip to Guatemala. We have stories of one of the best weeks of our life - holed up in a small hotel suite, learning this precious baby whose face we memorized from pictures. We have video from a wonderful "welcome home" airport party... Those stories are his "birth" story. They are some of the pieces to the puzzle that we call William Thomas. At 5 years old, what wonderous things we have yet to learn about this boy. Some days I beg for him to not grow a day older... Tonight, I'm looking forward to seeing the boy he will be tomorrow.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...