Friday, July 2, 2010

My First Refinishing Job

My grandmother gifted Blake and I with some furniture a few months ago. This dresser was included and we had a major need for it in our bedroom. We did not need dressers in our condo so we had been living in suitcases since we moved in.

I will admit - It was much more ornate then I remembered. And I didn't remember the kind of odd shape. But the wood? Beautiful! I know my grandmother and I KNOW she paid a small fortune for it. (The matching mirror is a new color and found a home in a different room - Thats a later post.)

I couldn't decide what to do - Paint? Stain?... Whitewash? When I polled my friends and family they did not choose the latter. But I knew what it could be. I knew that if it turned out as I imagined, it would be perfect for our bedroom.
I bought a stripper that stripped stain. It took 2 coats on each surface. I first rubbed with steel wool. I went back and rubbed a 2nd time with a type of stripper block that was much more fine.
I let the dresser dry for 24 hrs.

Can you tell which finish I chose?

I chose to whitewash the dresser. My mom and I experimented with the wash - white semi-gloss paint mixed with water. I think we ended up with 3 parts paint(1 1/2 cups) and 2 parts water(1 cup). That was way too much!!! It goes on almost as thin as water so I had most of the bowl left.
I painted it on using a craft sponge brush and wiped off the excess with an old rag. Because of the ornate molding I had to just squeeze it in the cracks on portions and ended up loving the dripping affect... I chose crystal handles to replace the original ornate gold ones. (Got a few more to buy!) :)


I love the way it turned out! It matches the room perfectly. I love our new black 4 poster bed, and the dresser helps to add an eclectic touch to the room.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...