Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Anthropologie Letter Look-A-Like

I love the zinc letters from Anthropologie... I do not love that they are $18 a piece!
When I found a tutorial on pinterest for a look-a-like, I knew I had to give it a try. 

Supplies:
Paper mache letters(got mine at Hobby Lobby)
Black craft paint
Silver metallic craft paint
foam brush
small craft paint brush

I wish that I had thought to take photos as I went, but wasn't thinking that clearly that night.

Here is how I made my letters:
1. Paint backs and fronts of letters with black paint using the foam brush. It was a perfect brush to use because it left a smooth surface with no streaks or brush marks.
2. Dry brush the metallic silver paint over the dried black paint. Brush the paint in 1 direction(I used downward strokes.) I started with a small amount of a paint on my brush and just added from there to reach the desired depth of color. You will want the black visible through the silver. 
3. Let dry.
4. Hang with double-sided tape or command strips. I used the command strips since my letters went over the kids beds. 


I spent about $12 total on all of the supplies for 3 letters! 
I'm trying to think of another place to put a letter or two because I LOVED the way these turned out! 



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...