Saturday, April 3, 2010

Psalm 29


Ascribe to the LORD, O mighty ones,
ascribe to the LORD glory and strength.

Ascribe to the LORD the glory due his name;
worship the LORD in the splendor of his holiness.

The voice of the LORD is over the waters;
the God of glory thunders,
the LORD thunders over the mighty waters.

The voice of the LORD is powerful;
the voice of the LORD is majestic.

The voice of the LORD breaks the cedars;
the LORD breaks in pieces the cedars of Lebanon.

He makes Lebanon skip like a calf,
Sirion like a young wild ox.

The voice of the LORD strikes
with flashes of lightning.

The voice of the LORD shakes the desert;
the LORD shakes the Desert of Kadesh.

The voice of the LORD twists the oaks
and strips the forests bare.
And in his temple all cry, "Glory!"

The LORD sits enthroned over the flood;
the LORD is enthroned as King forever.

The LORD gives strength to his people;
the LORD blesses his people with peace.


Our chapter in Ladies Bible Study this past week covered the topic of peace. I opened up The Practice of Godliness thinking, this chapter isn't for me. "I don't worry." It's true. I don't really worry.

I don't mean, "I never worry," I just don't worry alot. I take the kids for walks on the side walks and don't envision them being hit by cars. I take them in public spaces and keep them close, but don't obsess them being taken by a stranger. We have an unusually tight month financially and I don't lay awake worrying about the bills we still have to pay. And I just always assumed it was who I was. I am not a worrier.

God humbled me this week... I am not a worrier, but not just because "that is who I am". I am not a worrier, because of the Lord. He knew that with 3 kids 3 and under, I could find enough things to worry myself to death! :) As we were discussing the topic in our small group, my mind kept returning to this photo saved on my phone.

This is Emery. The first time I was really able to see her. They laid her on my chest for a brief moment after she was delivered and then quickly cleaned her up and rushed her from the delivery room. They took Blake and I to see her on our way to my new home for the next 7 days... But they didn't warn us. They didn't tell us, she would be on an iv. They didn't warn us she was requiring oxygen to breath. They didn't tell us about the feeding tube or the little sticky things that monitered her heart and o2 stats... I had no idea we wouldn't be allowed to hold her for at least 12 hours, or that I wouldn't be allowed to feed her for over 2 days, and that she would never spend the night in our room.

But peace... An overwhelming sense of peace as Blake and I sat in our hospital room, just the 2 of us. No one has enough peace to breath through that "just because that's who I am"... Peace. Something I totally underestimated. Something I have a total new appreciation for.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...